This post is long overdue, it took me a while to gather my thoughts and get caught up with life. Anyhow, let’s get started. This was my first experience at New York Fashion Week and I will admit that I was a little bit nervous about going but I’m glad I did. I was lucky enough to be able to share my first experience at Fashion Week with another blogger friend of mine Amanda from Evocatively Chosen. Check her out because she is kinda amazing! Knowing that we would be newbies together gave me the courage to go.
There are so many things I learned about New York Fashion Week:
- If you’re thinking about pitching a hotel, don’t wait till you’re a month out. Hotel accommodations in NYC can be pricey and the rates skyrocket the closer you get to Fashion Week. And they sell out fast. I decided a month out to go to Fashion Week. My husband suggested pitching hotels and at first, I thought my following/social media status wasn’t high enough. But with his encouragement, I went ahead and wouldn’t you know it…it worked! Hello suite! And anyone who has been to New York Fashion Week knows that having a bigger room to share with another blogger is everything!
- Reach out to PR companies personally and follow up with them. This is key to getting invites to shows or events. Keep your emails straight to the point but don’t send the exact same email to each company. And don’t ask for a plus one.
- Be on time and don’t plan events back to back. We learnt this lesson the hard way. Nothing starts on time and if you show up 5 mins before the event, you probably won’t get in. Even if you have an invite. Most shows are over capacity so getting there earlier is important. You will have to check in and then wait in line with everyone else until they start letting people in. FYI – they always send out more invites than the venues can handle.
- Don’t over think your outfits. I pre-planned my wardrobe and stressed out that I didn’t have enough of the “right” looks. And while I used pretty much everything I brought, I definitely over thought it. Fashion week is pretty much the only time (except for maybe Halloween) where you can get away with wearing just about anything! And I mean ANYTHING. No one bats an eye. So have fun with it. Don’t overthink it.
- Bring a pair of comfy shoes because you’ll end up doing a ton of walking. Thank goodness for blister bandages. My feet still haven’t forgiven me.
- Don’t forget to set aside some time to see NYC. I do wish I had an extra day to get more sight-seeing in. But there’s always next Fashion Week.
Have a great weekend
Thanks for stopping by!